Muscat: Some of the Omani employees of the BEB Consortium (Bechtel-Enka-BEC) went on strike, blocking entrance to the much delayed Muscat International Airport project on Sunday morning.
Last month nearly 2,000 employees, mostly Indians, of the same company were on strike over overtime deductions.
After intervention from the Manpower Ministry and Indian embassy the workers were given ultimatum to either join work with the conditions offered or leave. Some left but most re-joined.
"Since morning about 100 Omani workers had parked vehicles and blocked entrance to the project site," a worker told Gulf News Sunday preferring anonymity. "We heard that a new contract with reduced basic salary was prepared and we were to sign that today," the worker revealed.
He said the workers feared almost a 30 Omani riyal cut in their basic salary. "The Omani employees have raised the issue by blocking entrance since early morning even as police arrived at the gate," another expatriate worker said.
"We are in the camp as the entrance is blocked," said the worker.
Contacted by telephone, Consortium spokesperson Fawziya Al Mashyki said that she will get back as soon as they understand the reason behind the blockade. However, even after four hours there was no response from her.