Twitter RSS
News

LATEST NEWS

27-03-2012 - Khaleej Times

Prosecution acts on Kuwaiti team assault

The Dubai Public Prosecution has completed recording the statements of the six members of the Kuwaiti jet ski team, who were assaulted while taking part in a tournament in the open Beach of Umm Suqeim over 
the weekend, a top prosecutor has revealed.

Sami Salem Al Shamsi, Bur Dubai Chief Prosecutor, said that the prosecution has also listened to the statements of seven Emiratis, who allegedly assaulted the Kuwaitis.

"The prosecution was sure to be done as early as possible with the questioning of the Kuwaiti assault victims respecting their desire to fly back to Kuwait as early as possible. The ages of the defendants, who are seven so far, range between 25 and 32, and all of them are Emiratis."

Al Shamsi said that the investigations would determine the part each one of the defendants had played in the attack and accordingly the charges would be decided. He termed the incident as unprecedented, sad and serious.

The prosecution is waiting for the forensic medicine reports of the Dubai Police General Directorate of Criminal Evidence.

"The reports would be the technical evidence, part of the proof, as to how serious the injuries are and what were the tools used in the attack. Accordingly, the prosecution would level charges against the defendants as per the Federal Penal Code. And then refer the case to the Court of First Instance where the trial's date would be set.

Dubai Police earlier said that the injuries of the Kuwaiti team members were minor and referred the alleged ‘attackers' on assault and fight charges to the prosecution.

Their arrest came shortly following the incident on Saturday afternoon when the Kuwaiti team was taking part in the fourth round of the UAE jet ski tournament for this season. The attackers allegedly used sticks and all the Kuwaiti team members had to be rushed to hospital for treatment.

 

Other sources on GCC civil society and human rights